Sunday, June 10, 2012

Summer Explosion!

It's June, and there has been an explosion within the walls of the Babbitt home.  I'd take pictures, but it's mortifying!  

It all started last weekend.  David and I drove  to Ellensburg on Friday to attend Nick's last Jazz concert, which was fabulous and well worth the harrowing drive over via highway 12, which I don't recommend if you're in a hurry to travel east!  David was driving "like a teenager" and got us there in record time, 3 hours and 45 minutes.  I was alternately gritting my teeth or loudly complaining.  (Anyone who knows my husband knows him as a pretty laid back guy.  He isn't typically a fast driver!) But, I didn't get out of my doctor appointment until 3 pm, and the concert began at 7 pm.  We were pretty sure we were going to be late arriving as it's a 4 hour (and 2 minute) drive according to Google Maps!

But, Kailyn was waiting for us with our tickets and we arrived in the "nick" of time.  Nick's parents were there, so we all visited with one another between sets and made plans to meet in Paris for dinner on our last night there in June!

On Saturday, Nick drove us to a wonderful scenic area.
Clever sign telling us that "No Vehicles" are allowed!

We hiked for awhile,
David, Kailyn and Nick
Glorious sunny morning!
. . . then treated the kids to lunch and picked up a few boxes of Kailyn's to bring home with us. 

We headed in a northwesterly direction for our next stop on the whirlwind weekend, Bellingham.  David drove mostly sedately, yet we still arrived about 15 minutes ahead of the time quoted on Google Maps . . . less than three hours after leaving Ellensburg.  Traffic must have been light.  I was furiously working on grades for report cards so I have no idea what was happening outside the van!

After checking into our motel, we drove over to my aunt and uncle's home. My uncle is my dad's half brother, and only a few years older than I am.  My "aunt" is actually five months younger than I am, and we rediscovered each other about 18 years ago at a family reunion.  Typically, we manage to see each other a couple times a year, but it had been well over a year since the last visit, so we had some catching up to do.  We enjoyed several hours with them, and retired to our motel around 10 pm.

The next morning, we were surprised by a phone call from Jess about 8:30, letting us know she was up and ready for breakfast!  As she had numerous "Good Bye" parties the night before, we were surprised by the early call!  

Neither of us had been to her most recent residence, so we broke out the iPad and Google Maps, then drove straight over. (I just love that bouncing blue ball!)

Jess in front of "The Convent" a well known house rented by Western college girls.  Her room is on the left, what was originally the parlor.  The fireplace is no longer functioning, but the built in book shelves were cool.  I loved the windows and all the little nooks and crannies in this house.  I didn't take photos though, as it was wall to wall with six college girl's belongings!

We drove Jessica's car over to Arlisses Cafe for a delicious breakfast, then returned her and retrieved our very loaded van to begin the last link of our journey, homeward bound.  I looked at David as we pulled away from Bellingham and said, "Babbitt's Moving and Storage . . . here we go again!"

View looking back from the passenger seat!

Again, the traveling was smooth and easy, and we arrived home late afternoon, weary, but knowing we needed to unload before we could relax and set to it.  Finally, we were able to manhandle the seats back into the van. We called it a night and went to bed exhausted!

Sometime in the middle of the night, Jessica must have arrived home, with all that was left of her worldly possessions.  I could tell she was home by the trail leading from the front door of the house.  But, she surprised me at school on Monday, showing up while I was in the computer lab with the kids, and she spent part of every day this past week with us.  With her able assistance, we managed to get all of our last minute projects completed and have the room ready for "Pride Night" on Thursday. My usual end of the year exhaustion caught up with me early and I had a sore throat begin that afternoon.  I was doubly grateful for her generous gift of time in the classroom, and she helped organize, sort and put away books on Friday afternoon while I worked on report cards. 

Last night Kailyn and Nick arrived, and moved the rest of her belongings into the garage and her bedroom.  I haven't been out to the garage because I am afraid of what I will find!  Somehow, I hope to return my van to it's rightful spot in the garage before we leave a week from next Tuesday for Europe.  

Today, the girls will be frantically doing laundry, and packing for their dream trip to France.  Nick's flight is about six hours ahead of theirs, and he will meet them at the airport when they arrive in Paris. David will drop them at the Portland airport tomorrow morning, and we'll catch up with them in Manchester, England on June 20.

I have one more week of school to get through, but I'm in good shape.  I've been sorting and recycling and giving away for several weeks, and I think I will be able to check out on Friday afternoon.  I've written my little "Promotion" speech, and already shed a few tears as I contemplate saying "Good Bye" to this year's class.  Each one stands out for something; every year I remember something unique about the little group that becomes my "day family".  This year, the word that comes to mind is "companionable".  These kids got along so well together!  It was a rare day when someone hurt someone else's feelings.  They never complained about working with a partner, no matter who they were partnered with, and helped each other succeed in so many ways.  It was by far the most harmonious class I've ever had, and I will miss them. 

Next Tuesday I have been invited to attend the graduation of the first class I taught.  They were second graders then, and while the year was truly a trial by fire, I've stayed in touch with many of the families, and frequently the kids.  I received six graduation announcements, two tickets to graduation, and several party invitations, but ended up being sick this weekend, so I was unable to attend most of the parties, which made me very sad!

I will attend the graduation, and I know I'll be remembering these accomplished young people as second graders. And, one more time, be grateful for the opportunity to make a difference in their lives.

After spending the past two hours putting this post together, I am reminded of why I haven't been writing much lately!  I just can't seem to find the time!  I apologize for not keeping up with blogs, and I know I'm missing out.  Sadly, I don't see life slowing down until after we are home from vacation in July.  I will be taking lots of photos, and will maybe learn how to load them onto the iPad. (I bought the adapter I needed, but I haven't tried to use it yet! And my in-house tech support team will be gone tomorrow!)

Happy June to everyone!  I'll be catching up when I'm able! 



  1. Oh, Sandi, you are going like a house afire! As they say, anyway. :-)

    What a lot you have accomplished in such a short time. I found something that if I take it at the first sign of a sore throat really works: zinc elderberry lozenges. You are going to need all the help you can get during the next few weeks. Please don't stress yourself about your followers: I can speak for myself that I enjoy any posts you find time to write, and I'll be here when you get back! I sure did enjoy this post...

  2. Wonderful to hear from you. I enjoyed catching up with what has been happening with you all.

    Take time to get settled again and take good care of your health!

  3. Wow! You are a busy Mom and teacher. Your school really gets out late. The ones around here have been out since the end of May or early June. I hope your trip goes wonderfully and I can't wait to hear and see all the fun things you'll be doing. Enjoy your vacation!

  4. You really are busy! I hope you slow down just a little, but I know how all that end of the year stuff goes. I'm excited for you and your trip.

    Don't worry about catching up with blogging. I too have been noticeably absent from blogs lately, I have just been too busy and too distracted. Sometimes that is how life is. Take care of yourself!

  5. Enjoy that family time. We'll be hangin around when you get back! :) I'm glad you had a great class this year. I had that one two years ago. I miss them.

  6. Gee, you do sound busy! Looking forward to more photos from you!

  7. I'm so excited for you Sandi and can feel your excitement in your words! Don't worry about being too busy to post. It happens to all of us I think.

    I can't wait to see your posts from your trip. I'm sure they will be filled with fun, excitement and adventure!!

    Love Di ♥

  8. Wow! Super busy! No wonder you don't have much time to blog. :)
    Lovely family!

  9. Dear Sandi, I was worn out just reading about that trip! Thanks for sharing all that's happening. You have so much to be proud of in your teaching career. You have touched the lives of so many children.

    Don't worry about blogging or reading postings or commenting. You have so much to do for June and July--it's called "LIVING!" So enjoy. As the song goes, "Don't worry! Be happy!"


  10. School's out for summer! NOw the teachers get to play!

  11. Hi Sandi, You are soon off to Europe! I hope you've played with downloading your pics to the iPad. Also, did I mention that the Blogsy app is helpful if you want to post? But - you'll probably just want to enjoy. Remember to take a walk on the wild side for me! Have a safe trip with many adventures.


Thank you for visiting my blog. I enjoy the connections made with others, and welcome feedback! I make every effort to read and comment on the blogs of all who visit my site. Seek the light!